Admissions Criteria 2018-2019
Up to 21 places will be offered to those students with the highest score in a technological aptitude test underpinning the Academy’s specialism in technology.
All applicants for specialist places should complete a supplementary application form. They will then be invited to the Academy to take a short test for aptitude in Technology. It should be noted the aptitude test does not apply to in year admissions.
All applicants for a Year 7 place (with the exception of those with an Education, Health and Care Plan will be placed in one of five bands based on their score in the Wandsworth Year 6 Non-Verbal Reasoning Test. Once the places for applicants with an Education, Health and Care Plan and the Specialist places have been allocated, the remaining applicants will be allocated a place on the basis of the oversubscription criteria detailed below so that equal numbers are offered places from each band.
The criteria will be applied for each individual band in the order set out below:
- applicants looked after by the Local Authority and those who ceased to be looked after because they were adopted or because they became subject to a residence order or a special guardianship order;
- applicants whose siblings currently attend the school and who will continue to do so on the date of admission; (i.e. a natural brother or sister, or half-brother or sister, or a legally adopted brother or sister or half-brother or sister; who lives with them at the same address at the date of application and will continue to do so on the date of entry to the Academy);
- applicants whose parent(s) has been employed by the Academy for a minimum of two years;
- applicants who live nearest the Academy using Wandsworth Council straight-line distance from home to school, as measured by Wandsworth Council’s Geographical Information System.
Applicants refused a place at the school will have the right to appeal against the decision to an independent admission appeal panel established under the School Standards & Framework Act 1998.
How Places Were Offered Last Year
The following information, based on the 2016 intake, is a guide to give you a better idea of whether your child might be offered a place for September 2018. The situation can change from year to year.
- Total number of applications received: 1248 (including 11 Statements/Education, Health & Care Plan)
- Total number of places offered: 210
- Number of appeals heard: 17
- Number of successful appeals: 1
The furthest distance offered per Band (in miles):
|March 2016||June 2016||September 2016|
- Applicants must reach the age of 11 during the year 1 September 2017 to 31 August 2018 inclusive; immediately preceding entry to the Academy.
- Each intake will, as far as possible, represent the full range of ability and will also reflect the social, economic and cultural character of the area.
- All unsuccessful applicants will remain on the banded waiting list until 31 October 2018 (when the list expires) pending the occurrence of a vacancy.
- From 1 November unsuccessful applicants will be listed on the waiting list according to distance until the end of the academic year (31 August) when the list expires.
It will not be possible to offer prospective parents individual visits to the Academy outside of the scheduled Open Evening/Morning sessions.